Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Pessimist's Guide to Optimism IV

Lesson #1: The bad that didn't happen
Lesson #2: The good that almost happened
Lesson #3: Cautious optimism - don't tell anyone.

Take a deep breath. Here comes lesson number four. You can do this.

Smiling more is okay - even at other people. You can keep your arms crossed and sort of look off to the side, like the girl to the left - this is what we call a guarded smile. Don't let anyone tell you that guarded smiles don't count. They do.

The devil on your shoulder will be scowling by now...and plotting his revenge. If you have moments of weakness, due to that fuming evil fellow, feel free to slip back into cautious optimism for a day or two - until you feel strong enough to come back "out".

Only two more steps. Good luck!



7 comments:

Talli Roland said...

I stopped smiling at people in London when I noticed them giving me strange looks and scuttling away! :)I might need to start up again...

Miranda Hardy said...

I try to smile often, but I never did like my grin. Lol

Beth said...

I smile a lot of the time. When I was in Russia, our guide told us that Russians are suspicious of people who smile - they think there's something wrong with him. They must have thought I was really strange!

Mimi said...

Lovely lesson, I think a smile is a great "weapon"!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I'm a smiler. It's worth the effort when you get one back.

Cat Lavoie said...

Great lesson! I definitely need to smile more! :)

Julie Flanders said...

I love the guarded smile, I need to take this advice. I have often been told I look grumpy when I really don't mean to at all!

Hope you have a great weekend coming up, Michelle! :)