Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Pessimist's Guide to Optimism

When we lived in Arizona, the local news did a story on roof rat issues in nearby neighborhoods.

They only need a hole the size of a quarter to get into your house.

They're good climbers.

They nest in trees and attics.

They will eat your oranges right off the tree.

One day we discovered something dark swimming in our pool and wondered if it was the dreaded pest. Upon closer inspection, we discovered it was just a mouse. The mouse, with his black, beady eyes, literally squeaked for help when he saw us. He couldn't get out. We helped him. I'm not sure why.

The point? At least it wasn't a roof rat.

I am an optimism convert - yes, there were times when I glared at cheerful people, and would rather trip them than hold the door open. However, becoming an optimist isn't as bad as it seems. If you're considering a switch from pessimism, start here...

Lesson #1: Concentrate on the bad things that didn't happen.

Practice off and on for a month, and come back for step two in February. K, bye.

10 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

I would have helped the little guy out, too.

Loree Huebner said...

Awwww...I would have save this little beady-eyed creature too.

"I have come to save the day" ~ MIGHY MOUSE.

Mighty Mouse would personally thank you, I'm sure.

Sage Ravenwood said...

"Concentrate on the bad things that didn't happen."

After the year I just had, I'm definitely making this my motto. (Hugs)Indigo

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

Everyone needs optimists! They're the ones that cheer you up!

Leslie S. Rose said...

I embrace denial as a form of optimism. Yay for the mouse rescue.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm the world's worst pessimist, so I really need to give this a try. Love the mouse rescue story, very sweet!

Have a great weekend! :)

Shelley Sly said...

Aww, I'm so glad you helped the mouse.

I am generally a pessimist when it comes to myself, but an optimist when it comes to other people's lives. I believe in my friends and family and wish them the best. As for myself, sometimes I don't believe I'll get anywhere. But I like this first lesson, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Cat Lavoie said...

What a cute story! I'm glad the little guy made it.
I definitely have to work on this optimism thing. Looking forward to lesson 2! :)

Lauren said...

I love this post!

Jennifer Lane said...

I think mice are adorable. Rats, eww! That seems like rodent discrimination. Way to see the bright side!